11: Community Forums
12: Community Forums
13: Community Forums
14: Home
15: Community Forums
16: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

And you wonder why I think christianity is fucking stupid...

The place to share funny ass shit.
Reply to topic Printer Friendly Page Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

And you wonder why I think christianity is fucking stupid...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:22 am

Last edited by hepkus on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

hepkus
Textile Worker

Re: And you wonder why I think christianity is fucking stupid...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:48 am

I'm not sure that you are properly citing the first amendment. Also, I feel the need to make an argument on behalf of federalism since the dumb cunt you had this discussion with only half assed it and was only in favor of it to encourage discrimination. Allowing states to make their own laws regarding certain things is important to upholding the separation of powers doctrine that our government is premised on. Furthermore, it allows states to implement novel social and economic programs that they are able to test at a state level. I'm not ok with using federalism as a way to discriminate against people and abridge their civil rights but I think that it is a concept that has value.

Bladestorm
Child Labor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:43 am

Last edited by hepkus on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

hepkus
Textile Worker

Re: And you wonder why I think christianity is fucking stupi

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:26 pm

Marriage isn't a civil right. To be married you need a marriage licenses just like a drivers licenses. If you're blind the state isn't going to give you a drivers licenses. You don't have a right to drive. If you're gay, the state isn't going to give you a marriage licenses. You don't have a right to marriage. You might not like it, I don't like it, but it's how it is. Marriage is no right.

If you should arguing anything, it's to make marriage a right.

And btw, if you didn't know, separation of church and state, doesn't keep religious ideas out of the government.

Crippledcarny
Captain Legless

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:02 pm

We are in total agreement about the first part Hep. However, there are other reasons for not wanting gays to get married besides religious ones. They are all poor arguments but there are other reasons why. Also, the link you are drawing between the establishment clause and disallowing gay marriage is a bit too attenuated to stand up in court. Second, you are correct in pointing out that the establishment clause is violated constantly by our government, people just don't realize it and are seemingly ok with the violations that already transpire

However, our crippled friend is the most correct here. Family law is something left almost entirely to the discretion of individual states and higher courts are hesitant to overturn these laws unless there is a glaring constitutional violation. Really the only constiutional argument you have on this issue is a 14th amendment(equal protection of the law). But as the leader of the black voltron force already mentioned whether we like it or not is fairly irrelevant.

Bladestorm
Child Labor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:38 am

Last edited by hepkus on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

hepkus
Textile Worker

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:06 am

Here's a pic of my dear friend.

hepkus
Textile Worker

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:07 am

You can't sit around and act like something is a right when it isn't and we are hardly shrugging this off or being passive. I'm even willing to guess you and I have done about the same amount to support the gay community. Which, other then some bitching on the internet, is next to nothing.

Anyway, if you want something to change, whether that be something as small as the name of your street, or as big as letting gays marry, you have to know the workings of the law. You have to know why something is what it is before you can make it something else.

The simple fact is sitting around on the internet flaming Christians isn't going to get gays the right to marry. Picking up some home made sign and walking around in a circle on the capital steps isn't going to get gays the right to marry. Making marriage a right, however, will. You can call that passive if you'd like but it's the only thing that will bring change.

And btw, you look like a complete dumb ass when you say something like, "You should however let someone know when they're being a stupid fucking bigot," when the name you gave the topic is "And you wonder why I think christianity is fucking stupid..." Which, if you didn't know, is bigotry.

Crippledcarny
Captain Legless

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:42 pm

Again you are citing a provision of the constitution that doesn't really help your arguement at all. The supremacy clause only really matters when you have a federal law and a state law that are in conflict, and as you know there is no constitutional or federal right to marriage. Also, your portrayal of the founding fathers is off. Our founding fathers really weren't interested in granting equal rights to everyone. If they had been interested in giving everyone equal rights then they would have granted them to women and blacks, but they didn't. The Constitution even has passages that discuss the right to regulate and continue the slave trade. Things are the way they are and it sucks but thats the world we live in. We have to allow bigots to do and think as they wish and hope that someday they will realize they are misguided. If you have issues with the way things are then make a change or at least try, but yelling at ignorant people on the internet or in person doesn't really change anything.

Bladestorm
Child Labor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:03 pm

Last edited by hepkus on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

hepkus
Textile Worker

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:35 pm

hepkus:
Not a country that gets dumber with every generation.

nces.ed.gov/programs/d...08_110.asp

If we are so dumb why has the drop out rate been going down for the last 30 years? Why has the college graduation rate been increasing? Could someones stupidity simply be your ignorance of another side? Of course not, right? That's silly, there's only one right answer and it's held by you, right?

And our founding fathers didn't want a progressive country, they wanted one that worked, they wanted one they could tax people with.

Crippledcarny
Captain Legless

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:29 am

I think education standards have dropped. But then again thats just a guess because im not an amerilolican

oiwutbames
Meat Packer

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:43 am

The only real argument that could be made for standards dropping is in the last 7 years with the no child left behind act. And really that's just lowering of the passing bar for standardized test, which are utterly pointless.

Crippledcarny
Captain Legless

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:49 am

The amount of drop-outs likely has nothing to do with education standards. People don't drop out of school because it is too hard, they drop out for other reasons (anecdotally, I'd say it is generally due to not giving a fuck).

Faet
Hedonismbot

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:10 am

Shimmur
Child Labor

Reply to topic Printer Friendly Page Page 1 of 3 Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Funny Bullshit